Monday 23 September 2013

Campy Cosmic Communique

So I came across this classic gem the other day and nearly bust a gut laughing! Behold, Space Patrol:



It's just so low budget, campy, and simply amazing! I knew about the more popular Supermarionation shows like Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, but I had no idea about Space Patrol (also known as Planet Patrol in the US to avoid confusion with the 1950's live-action series of the same name)

Watching this immediately made me think about the RPG Cosmic Patrol and it's tongue-in-cheek approach to retro-futuristic space opera. Back during Free RPG Day in June I had my first encounter with Cosmic Patrol with their free quick-start rules booklet The Eiger Agenda, an encounter that left me pleased.


Flash forward to now and all of Cosmic Patrol's materials are still on sale at DriveThruRPG, so figured I should finally take advantage of the sale and get myself Cosmic Patrol on PDF. Another game to add to my queue of RPG reading material. :)

Anyway, there's veritable galaxy of adventure seeds and narration ideas in the episodes of Space Patrol and the episodes and planets from Fireball XL5 along with other sci-fi film serials and television shows from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Check them out when you're in a tight spot and need a fresh idea or two Cadet!

Blast Off to Adventure! ;{١

No comments:

Post a Comment